Tuesday 5 March 2013

The best documentaries to watch about fast food and the obesity epidemic.

We all know about the obese epidemic, it effects some of us but if you're lucky, not all of us. Unfortunately, the people who don't face the difficulties of fast food and obesity are a minority. I've done a lot of research as to why this is happening, mainly watching a lot documentaries on youtube. It is so shocking to see people so overweight that they can't even walk a few steps without wearing themselves out. We shouldn't be living a world like this!






If you're at all interested in this topic, regardless of whether you are obese or you just want to know more; here are my favourite short documentaries on the subject I think you should watch.

The first one is Fast Food Baby. It is absolutely shocking! If you have children and feed them fast food regularly, you need to watch this. The documentary follows 3 families who feed their children A LOT of fast food. One family has take away 5 nights a week! They feed their 16 month old this stuff on a daily basis, the one thing that shocked me the most was how much coca cola they were giving him. It's around 6 cans, a day! I don't know about you, but I can't even imagine drinking 1, let alone 6 cans a day. When they're not giving their children fast food, they have a cabinet full of sweets that their children can just grab as they please. You can only imagine what all this food is doing to them. Their calorie intake is bigger than mine! It is so mind boggling how some parents can do this, but then again, I'm not a parent. I can only imagine how hard it must be to figure out what to cook your kids for dinner and having to do that every night. I struggle to do that for myself! The important message in this documentary is that regardless of whether you can't cook, or you hate cleaning up the mess after cooking a meal, you need to look after your child's health. In the long run, that is the most important thing.


My second pick is Too Fat to Toddle. This documentary is very short and sweet and straight to the point. And again, it's about obesity in children. I only just finished watching it and it is truly inspirational. Again, it follows a few families on their journey to getting their children healthy. It's so sad to watch a little girl running and getting so puffed out. When I was kid, I had so much energy and would run around like a mad thing until it was time for bed, I'm sure a lot of you reading were the same. I really hope that obesity in children is not a new thing and we can nip this in the bud, as soon as possible.



My last pick is a documentary show called Big Meets Bigger. It's very interesting and so eye opening. The show consists of 2 people, usually female who have had trouble with their weight, they live with a family who eat like they breathe. There are some very heart breaking moments, that make you so thankful for the amazing, healthy lives we live. It's worth a watch. There are quite a few episodes and they all shot in different countries. The one I have linked you to, is based in Mississippi. To those of you who don't know, Mississippi has claimed the title of the fattest state in America!!


So there you have it, my picks of the lot. I hope you check these out. They don't go for very long, which I think is great. But there is so much you can take from them all.


See you next time!

X

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! These are all really great and interesting shows, which I wouldn't have found without your recommendation. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all. Hope you found them interesting :)

      Delete